Brief Public Speaking Checklist
Posted 15 April 2000. Last Updated April 2014.
· Introduction, Body and Conclusion
· Form, Structure and flow
· Full and partial notes - without notes (extemporaneous)
· Use of Metaphor and illustrations
· Use of references
· Material appropriate to audience and context
· Audience contact
· Modulating (varying pitch, pace and power)
· Speed of delivery appropriate to context, audience and content
· Conversational quality
· Gestures and the 'speaking body'
· Audience attention and rapport
· Absence of mannerisms
· Use of flip charts etc.
· Repetition for emphasis
· Letting go of 'Stage Fright'
· Use of humour
· the 5 second grab (media use)
· coping with interviewers
o direct, indirect, non directive questions
o minimal encouragers